Washington 5th. December 1817
My Dear Brother
Yours of the 24th. ulto. with the draft on the Branch Bank for 3000 Dollars in received.—Messrs: Payne and Co wrote me lately mentioning the opinion of our friend Mr. Jos: Stall Senior, that there would be no dividend upon the Canal Shares next January.—I immediately answered them that if that was now their own opinion, I wished them to suspend further purchases on my account.—I say the same to you.—If there is no dividend, I am confident the shares will <
fall> be down.—perhaps lower than $300 and I am will to wait and see if there will be any prospect of a dividend next year.—Such egregious miscalculations in the Report of the Committee made last April shakes all faith and Confidence in their expectations of the future.
I should have begun by acknowledging the receipt of your Letter of 18th. ulto N 3. with the Letter and recommendation of Col Vinson which I have laid before the President.—Mr Armstrong may keep his land and build upon it if he pleases.
Mr Cruft has sent me a stock of groceries amounting to 159 Dollars for the payment of which I have referred him to you—At the close of the year, I pray you to send me a statement of the account between us.
MHi: Adams Family Papers, Letterbooks.