Adams Papers
Documents filtered by: Author="Willink, Wilhem & Jan (business)" AND Period="Revolutionary War" AND Correspondent="Adams, John"
sorted by: date (descending)

To John Adams from Wilhem & Jan Willink, Nicolaas & Jacob van Staphorst, and De la Lande & Fynje, 19 June 1783

From Wilhem & Jan Willink, Nicolaas & Jacob van Staphorst, and De la Lande & Fynje

Amsterdam the 19 June 1783.


We have the honoúr to acknowledge the Receit of yoúr Excellency’s most esteemed favoúr of 27th. May. wherein we Observe what yoúr Excelly. is pleased to Say about the Definitive Treaty. but as by all dispensed Accounts we have no great Reason to think of its being Soon Concluded, it may make yoúr Excellys. Stay at Paris much Longer than yoúr Excelly. self can fooreseen; wherefore Should it Succeed us (so as we hope). in distributing a Large quantity of Obligations in the Months of July and August, it Certainly would put ús into Some Inconveniency.1 This has determined us to take the Liberty to Send yoúr Excellency by way of the Widow Smit’s of Anvers a Small Case Containing Two Thousand and Three Obligations (which three only Serve in Case any misfortúne in Signing of ’em happen).2 Claim[ing] on them yoúr Excellency’s Signature, as Likewise the Return of ’em, as Soon as yoúr Excellency’s Occupations will permit it—.

We have the honoúr to Remain Very Respectfúlly / Sir / Yoúr Excellency’s most / Obedt. humb. Servants.

Wilhem & Jan Willink

Nics. & Jacob van Staphorst:

dela Lande & fÿnje

RC (Adams Papers), internal address: “To his Excelly. John Adams Esqr: / at Paris.” Some loss of text due to wear at the edge.

1In his letter of 27 May (LbC, APM Reel 108), JA indicated that delays in negotiating the definitive treaty meant that he would be at Paris for the foreseeable future. He requested that the consortium delay sending him the unsigned obligations but indicated his determination to sign those that remained before he left Europe.

2The widow Jean Marten Smets wrote JA on 18 June (Adams Papers), indicating that she was sending the case via the regular stagecoach from Brussels and offering her services if the United States should seek to raise a loan in Belgium. In his 26 June reply to the consortium (LbC, APM Reel 108), JA indicated that the obligations had not yet arrived and that he was surprised the loan was not filling more rapidly. JA returned the signed obligations with his letter of 5 July, below.

Index Entries