From Alexander Hamilton
[Philadelphia] 8th May 1793.
The Secretary of the Treasury has the honor to submit to the consideration of the President of the U. States a communication from the Commissioner of the Revenue of the 6th instant1—respecting a contract provisionally entered into with Moses M. Hayes for a further supply of Oil for the Light Houses.2 It is respectfully conceived that the arrangement is in every view eligible.
1. Tench Coxe’s letter to Hamilton has not been identified, but GW’s executive journal indicates that the president received this letter on 9 May (JPP, description begins Dorothy Twohig, ed. The Journal of the Proceedings of the President, 1793–1797. Charlottesville, Va., 1981. description ends 133).
2. On 27 April 1793 Bostonians Moses Michael Hays and John Coffin Jones agreed to furnish 14,000 gallons of oil “fit for the use of the Light Houses in the Northern & Eastern states in the Winter Season—at the rate of ninety five Dollars for every two hundred & fifty two gallons” (DNA: RG 26, Lighthouse Deeds and Contracts). On 16 May, GW approved this contract and returned it to Hamilton (ibid., 141).