From Brigadier General William Winds
Head Quarters Elizth Town [N.J.]
June 30. 1778
Your favour of the 28th has stopp’d My Moving again towards you,1 Nevertheless I hold some Men in Readiness to Act or Move, wherever a prospect of Advantage May Appear, I flatter myself that I Can yet Assemble at amboy or at any place on this side of Amboy, at 24 Hours Notice (provided I have such Notice any time tomorrow) from 600 to 800 Men, besides What will be Necessary for the Guarding these lines, Which being Committed to my Charge I Must take Care of, I am Impatient to learn your Situation & Shall with the utmost Chearfulness Execute any thing you Shall require of me.
I have boats on this Shore Capable of Carrying 300 or 400 Men, some of them Can Carry Horses & Empty or Light Carryages, Which I shall this Day Attempt to Move towards Amboy, at Which place they may be tomorrow, if no unexpected Incident prevents, of Which I thought it Necessary to Give your Excellency an Intimation, Should they prove usefull in moving across the Raritan River, Either Way, they will be ready, & it will Afford me Great satisfaction—Yesterday about 100 flat bottomed boats, went from the Southwest part of Staten Island, towards the Middletown Shore, Where there are a Great Number of large Vessels. I am sir with sincere Respect Your Most Obdt Humle servt
Wm Winds. Br. Gl
1. This letter has not been found.