|May||To Cash recd from Mr Ramsay viz. 4 half Joes & £4.10. Jersey Money1||£ 13. 4. 0|
|To Ditto recd of Doctr Carter for a years Interest of his Bond due2||10.16. 0|
|To Ditto recd from the Exrs of Mr [Philip Whitehead] Claiborn Do||14. 0. 0|
|To Ditto recd from Mr Frans Foster Do||33. 8. 0|
|To Ditto recd from Mr Thos Prosser Do||7. 5. 9|
|To Ditto recd from Colo. Warner Lewis Do||40. 0. 0|
|To Ditto recd from Edd Charlton for 2 Setts of Excha. dated 20th Apl 1773 One Sett for £60 the other for £1003||200. 0. 0|
|To Cash recd of the Treasury||12. 2. 6|
|To Ditto recd of the Revd Mr Thruston on acct of Andw Wagener4||12. 1. 9|
|To Ditto recd from Mr James Hill on acct||132.15. 4|
|7—||By Servants||0. 1. 3|
|By Cash paid Mrs [Elizabeth] Simpson5||1. 0. 0|
|By my Expences (Including Mr Custis’s) going to, & returng from New York & fixing him at the College there £50.14.3 Pensa equal to6||40.11. 5|
|By Cash given Mr Custis at Phila. & New York £27 Pensa equal to7||21.12. 0|
|By Charity||0. 7. 6|
|By Cards||3. 2. 6|
|By 2 pr white Silk Stockgs||2.18. 0|
|By Mr Hugh Gain for Mr [Jonathan] Boucher||1. 4. 0|
|By a Cucumber Slicer||0.18. 0|
|By a Case of Printing Materials||2. 0. 0|
|By a Paper of Cake Ink||0. 1. 0|
|By Doctr Wetherspoon for Mr Ramsay8||48.16. 0|
|By Cash given to George & Charles Lewis & Willm Ramsay9||4. 2. 6|
|By Cash pd Jno. Priestly for a Grey Mare||40. 0. 0|
|By a Bay horse bot at Vendue Phila.||23. 0. 0|
|By Charity||2. 5. 0|
|By Ditto||0.10. 0|
|deduct 25 prCt||25.16.11|
|By Cash paid my Mother pr Mr Lund Washington||10. 0. 0|
|By Ditto paid Mr Thos Hodge pr Colo. [Fielding] Lewis for my Gardr Philp Bateman||35. 0. 0|
|By Ditto pd Mr Robt Washington pr Do||60. 0. 0|
|By Ditto pd Captn [James] Page for Thos Davis||19. 2. 2|
|By Ditto pd Captn Wm Crawfords ordr in full10||50. 0. 0|
AD, Ledger B description begins Manuscript Ledger Book 2, 1772-93, in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. description ends , 88, 90.
1. The £13.4 that William Ramsay gave GW on 10 May was to be a part of the £48.16 that GW paid for Ramsay to John Witherspoon at Princeton where Ramsay’s son William was a student. See Ledger B description begins Manuscript Ledger Book 2, 1772-93, in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. description ends , 47, and GW’s Cash Memoranda, 1772-75 description begins “Pocket-day-Book or Cash-Memorandums,” 9 Aug. 1772–27 May 1773, 29 May 1773–22 March 1774, 26 Oct. 1774–3 May 1775. Manuscript in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. 24 March-31 October 1774. Manuscript in Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens, San Marino, Calif. description ends . GW was himself paying £25 a year toward young Ramsay’s support at the college.
3. See GW to Fielding Lewis, 20 April, n.19, and Lewis to GW, 8 May. On 8 May GW wrote Robert Cary & Co. from Mount Vernon: “On the 20th Ulto I drew two Bills upon you in favour of Edward Charlton, one of them for one hundred pounds—the other for Sixty pounds Sterling which please to pay, & place them to Acct of Mr John Parke Custis” (ALB, DLC:GW).
6. GW has detailed these expenses in his Cash Memoranda, 1772-75 description begins “Pocket-day-Book or Cash-Memorandums,” 9 Aug. 1772–27 May 1773, 29 May 1773–22 March 1774, 26 Oct. 1774–3 May 1775. Manuscript in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. 24 March-31 October 1774. Manuscript in Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens, San Marino, Calif. description ends under May and June entries.
7. For GW’s trip to Philadelphia and New York, 10 May to 8 June, see Diaries description begins Donald Jackson and Dorothy Twohig, eds. The Diaries of George Washington. 6 vols. Charlottesville, Va., 1976–79. description ends , 3:178–86.
9. GW’s nephews, George and Charles Lewis, the sons of Fielding and Betty Washington Lewis, were students at Princeton. GW was at Princeton on 24 May.