Mem. To Survey the Lands at the Mouth of Little Cacapehon & the Mouth of Fifteen Mile Creek for the Gentlemen of the Ohio Com.1
AD, DLC:GW. For background to this document, see the editorial note to GW to Ann Washington, Sept.-Nov. 1749, and GW to Thomas Fairfax, Oct.-Nov. 1749, source note.
1. The Ohio Company, founded in 1747 to promote European settlement and trade with the Indians in the Ohio country, officially received its charter on 12 July 1749. By the fall of 1749 the company had made its first order of goods for the Indian trade and had appointed agents to survey and choose a site for a storehouse for Indian goods. Although GW’s name does not appear in the extant Ohio Company minutes, he did run surveys for individuals on the Cacapon River (Great Cacapon River) in Nov. 1749. The Little Cacapon River enters the Potomac River about 5 miles downriver from the fork of the North and South branches of the Potomac and about 25 miles downriver from Wills Creek, the site chosen in Jan. 1750 for the “New Store” (Mulkearn, George Mercer Papers description begins Lois Mulkearn, ed. George Mercer Papers Relating to the Ohio Company of Virginia. Pittsburgh, 1954. description ends , 141, 171). Fifteenmile Creek enters the Potomac River from the Maryland shore about 9 miles upriver from the mouth of the Cacapon River.