8. Visited the Public buildgs. in the Morng. Met the Compy. at the Union Tavern & dined there—lodged as before. Weather very cold. Wind Northerly.
Visitors to the Capitol and the president’s residence in Feb. 1798 found the buildings well along. At the Capitol the superintendent reported “the freestone work on the outside is raised as high as the top of the Corinthian capitals all round the building. . . . The brickwork is also raised as high as the roof, and the naked flooring of the building is almost entirely laid.” At the “President’s House” the stone work was almost finished, the chimneys were up to the roof, which was finished except for the laying of the slate, and the doors “of the two principal stories” were all framed, “and some of them are panelled” (Columbian Mirror [Alexandria], 27 Feb. 1798).