Wednesday 8th. Left Prince Edward Ct. Ho. as soon as it was well light, & breakfasted at one Treadways 13 Miles off.1 Dined at Cumberland Ct. Ho. 14 Miles further and lodged at Moores Tavern within 2 miles from2 Carters ferry over James River.
The road from Prince Edward Court Ho. to Treadways was very thickly settled, although the land appeared thin, and the growth in a great degree pine, & from Treadways to Cumberland Ct. Ho. they were equally well settled on better land, less mixed, and in places not mixed at all,3 with pine. The buildings appear to be better.
Cumberland Court House (now Cumberland, Va.) was established as the seat of Cumberland County in 1777. GW probably dined at the Effingham Tavern, a popular establishment opposite the courthouse (GAINES  description begins William H. Gaines, Jr. “Courthouses of Cumberland and Powhatan Counties.” Virginia Cavalcade 17 (Winter 1968): 38–41. description ends , 39–41; W.P.A.  description begins W.P.A. Writers’ Project. Virginia: Guide to the Old Dominion. American Guide Series. New York, 1940. description ends , 490).
Carter’s ferry became the site of Cartersville in Oct. 1790, when the Virginia General Assembly authorized trustees to lay out the town on 27 acres of land that John Woodson (d. 1793) owned at the south landing. Established in 1744, the ferry was originally designated to run between “the land of Ashford Hughes, on the north side of James river,” and “the land of Robert Carter” (apparently the deceased Robert “King” Carter) on the opposite shore, but by 1763 the land on both banks, including the ferry, belonged to the Hughes family, the family into which John Woodson married (HENING description begins William Waller Hening, ed. The Statutes at Large; Being a Collection of All the Laws of Virginia, from the First Session of the Legislature, in the Year 1619. 13 vols. 1819–23. Reprint. Charlottesville, Va., 1969. description ends , 5:250, 6:16, 13:155, 171; WMQ description begins The William and Mary Quarterly: A Magazine of Early American History. Williamsburg, Va. description ends , 1st ser., 11 [1902–3], 52–53).
1. “off” inserted above line.
2. “from” substituted for “of.”
3. “in” deleted.