6th. The French Army formed the junction with the American on the Grounds marked out.1 The Legion of Lauzen took a position advanced of the plains on Chittendens hill2 west of the River Brunx [Bronx]. This day also the Minister of France arrived in Camp from Philadelphia.
1. The French reached Philipsburg about six o’clock on the evening of 6 July and camped about a quarter of a mile from the American camp (CLOSEN description begins Evelyn M. Acomb, ed. The Revolutionary Journal of Baron Ludwig von Closen, 1780–1783. Chapel Hill, N.C., 1958. description ends , 91–92). The allied camp is described in detail in Louis Alexandre Berthier’s journal (RICE description begins Howard C. Rice, Jr., and Anne S. K. Brown, eds. The American Campaigns of Rochambeau’s Army, 1780, 1781, 1782, 1783. 2 vols. Princeton, N.J., 1972. description ends , 1:249). GW’s Headquarters was at the house of Joseph Appleby, “on the cross-road from Dobbs’ Ferry to White Plains, and about three and a half miles from the ferry” (BAKER description begins William S. Baker. Itinerary of General Washington from June 15, 1775, to December 23, 1783. Philadelphia, 1892. description ends , 226). Rochambeau’s headquarters was at the Odell house, about 1½ miles east of the Appleby house (see CAMPBELL  description begins Charles A. Campbell. “Rochambeau’s Headquarters in Westchester County, N.Y., 1781.” Magazine of American History with Notes and Queries 4 (1880): 46–48. description ends , 46–47).
2. Chatterton’s Hill was at White Plains, Westchester County, N.Y.