29. Dined at Mr. Sprigs & went to the Play in the Evening.
Today’s race was run in three heats of three miles each, for a purse of £50. Richard Sprigg (1739–1798), only son of Thomas and Elizabeth Galloway Sprigg, was born at West River Farm (later known as Cedar Park) in Anne Arundel County, Md. (KELLY  description begins J. Reaney Kelly. “Cedar Park, Its People and Its History.” Maryland Historical Magazine 58 (1963): 30–53. description ends , 41). In 1765 Sprigg married Margaret Caile (d. 1796) of Dorchester County, Md., and shortly afterwards moved to a new house designed for him by his friend William Buckland. This home, Strawberry Hill, was built on a promontory overlooking Annapolis and the Chesapeake Bay and the site is now a part of the United States Naval Academy grounds. Sprigg became a leading citizen of the town, a steward of the Jockey Club, and one of the founders of St. John’s College (TILGHMAN  description begins Tench Francis Tilghman. “The Founding of St. John’s College, 1784–1789.” Maryland Historical Magazine 44 (1949): 75–92. description ends , 89).