4. Dined at the Speakers and Supped at Mrs. Vobes.
Jane Vobe had changed her mind about leaving Williamsburg, and by February of this year had opened a tavern called the King’s Arms, across the street from the Raleigh, in the house where John Carter had been living (Va. Gaz., P&D, 6 Feb. 1772). She remained in business there until about 1785.
In the council today was presented a petition that GW had prepared on behalf of himself and veterans of the Virginia Regiment, renewing his arguments for allowing the veterans more than 20 surveys for their 200,000 acres and asking the councillors “to direct in what manner Patents ought to issue for the Lands already surveyed.” The latter business was postponed until 6 Nov., but the request for more surveys was rejected without further consideration (VA. EXEC. JLS. description begins H. R. McIlwaine et al., eds. Executive Journals of the Council of Colonial Virginia. 6 vols. Richmond, 1925–66. description ends , 6:510, petition of GW and Virginia Regiment to Lord Dunmore and Virginia council, Oct. 1772, PPRF).