15. Went up to the Plantations about Rockahock. Dined at Mrs. Chamberlaynes with Mrs. Washington & returnd to Colo. Bassetts in the Eveng.
Rockahock was the New Kent County neighborhood in which the Custis White House was located (John Parke Custis to GW, 11 Sept. 1777, ViHi). The Custis plantations in New Kent were Rockahock, Brick House, Old Quarter, and Harlow’s, all belonging to Jacky Custis (“An Inventory of the Stocks As given in by the respective Overseers in the Month of December 1771, after the decease of Mr. Valentine,” ViHi: Custis Papers). Rebecca Chamberlayne, widow of Edward Pye Chamberlayne (1725–c.1769), lived on the Pamunkey River about a mile from the White House.