23. Breakfasted at Caroline Ct. House and reachd Fredericksburg abt. 4 Oclock in the Aftern. ding. at Colo. Lewis.
Caroline Court House was about halfway between Todd’s Bridge and Fredericksburg, but lay a few miles east of the main road (rice description begins Howard C. Rice, Jr., and Anne S. K. Brown, eds. The American Campaigns of Rochambeau’s Army, 1780, 1781, 1782, 1783. 2 vols. Princeton, N.J., 1972. description ends , 2:176 and pl. 117; Va. Gaz., R, 19 Oct. 1769). GW’s expenses there on this day were 8s. 9d. (ledger a description begins Manuscript Ledger Book 1, 1750-72, in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. description ends , 299). The chief tavern at the Court House had been established about 1733 by Samuel Coleman (1704–1748) and was now owned by his son Francis Coleman (d. 1771), a lawyer who served a term as a Caroline burgess 1769–70 (campbell  description begins Thomas Elliott Campbell. Colonial Caroline: A History of Caroline County, Virginia. Richmond, 1954. description ends , 410–13; king  description begins George H. S. King. “Some Notes on the Coleman Family of Caroline County, Virginia.” Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 54 (1946): 258–60. description ends , 258–59).