Charlotttesville Jany 20. 1827
The extreme coldness of the weather, rendering the passage of the Rivanna already difficult & probably impracticable by the time I should be returning home—must be my apology for failing to visit you at this time, according to my appointment by letter from Richmond. I therefore hasten to communicate to you the opinions of the members of the Board of Visitors now in Richmond in relation to the displaced Hotel Keepers that you may make known the result to the proctor.
Mr. Johnson was of the opinion that the three Hotel Keepers approved by the Board at their late meeting would have a right to claim their appointments notwithstanding the discovery of their former treachery—and that in relation to them therefore, it would be unnecessary to call the Board together—In this opinion the other Visitors present concurr’d.
It was also decided by a majority of the number present—(Genl. Breckenridge having arrived pending our deliberations) that considering all the circumstances of the Affairs, the two displaced Hotel-Keepers may be reinstated until the Meeting of the Board of Visitors in July—at which time their cases would be further consider’d—
This course was th as well for the purpose of hold them all former sins as to indicate our final of them if necessary:—which be render’d more & more necessary by the daily discoveries made here—by their telling upon each other.
I have only made known to the proctor informally, that the two displaced Hotel Keepers (presuming upon your concurrence with the majority in Richmond) would have the offer of returning to their Stations on certain terms, which would be communicated by you so soon as I could see you. You will therefore please to write him as soon as convenient after the rect. of this—With highest respect & Esteem I am Dr. sir Your Obedt Servt.
John H. Cocke
P. S. The supplemental Report has been kept back until this post on account of the Printers failing to print the Enactments—This failure of the printer has been caused by the excessive coldness of the weather. The delay of the Report is to regretted as the friends of the University were anxious to bring it before the Legislature at an early period—but it will now go in aid of a Petition of the People of this County & others which was proposed by Mr. Tucker & on Wednesday at Monticello,praying to purchase the Bust and to —pray Excuse this scrawl, before a good fire—
J H C