From James Leander Cathcart, 26 August 1802
Leghorn Augt. 26th. 1802
In addition to my dispatch of yesterday give me leave respectfully to submit to the Presidents decision—Whether, supposing government should think proper to put an end to the War with Tripoli without prosecuting it to extremity; it would not be to the interest of the United States to embark Hamet Pacha on board our Comodores Ship & proceed with him before Tripoli, to then inform his brother Jouseph that our intentions were to conclude a permanent Treaty with him provided he would agree upon terms of reciprocity & mutual convenience, that should he think proper to comply with the terms which we would dictate, that on his giving his brother Hamet his promise of perpetual protection & installing him with the rights & immunity’s appertaining to the Beylic of Derna & Bengazi according to his promise, that we would land him & his suite at Derna the seat of his governt. that otherwise we would make use of such means as God had already placed in our hands, which join’d to our influence at the sublime Port, who were inform’d & well satisfied of the justness of our cause, we made no doubt would enable us to seat the said Hamet Pacha upon the Throne of his forefathers.
I presume from Jouseph Pachas present situation that he would prescribe to any terms sooner than try the experiment & that we would thereby be enabled to conclude a treaty upon honorable terms, which to insure its continuance ought to be prescribed with moderation.
Enclosed is a copy of Mr. Eatons letter to me of the 12th. of July with my addition to it which I have made circular & an other from Algiers which was handed to me by Mr. Appleton a few days ago. I have receiv’d no other intelligence from Barbary since my last worthy your attention & remain very respectfully, Sir Yr. very Obnt. Hble Servt.
James Lear. Cathcart