To Fernagus De Gelone
Poplar Forest near Lynchburg. Aug. 19.  17.
I recieved yesterday evening, and at this place 80. miles South West from Monticello, your letter of the 5th inst. and lose no time in inclosing you the 8 D. 50 cents, the amount of the books last sent. I am in hopes that notwithstanding the increased distance, they may reach you before your departure. on your return with a new cargo of books I shall be glad to recieve your catalogue as early as possible that I may not be anticipa[ted] by others in my choice. the packet with the Aristophane had safely arrived at Monticello before I left that place. I tender you my best wishes for a safe & prosperous voyage and return.
PoC (MHi); on verso of a reused address cover from Isaac Briggs to TJ; misdated; one word faint; at foot of text: “Mr Fernagus de Gelone”; endorsed by TJ as a letter of 19 Aug. 1817. Recorded in SJL as a letter of <
19> 20 Aug. 1817.
- Aristophanes; Théatre d’Aristophane, avec les fragmens de Ménandre et de Philémon (trans. L. Poinsinet de Sivry) search
- Fernagus De Gelone, Jean Louis; imports books from Europe search
- Fernagus De Gelone, Jean Louis; letters to search
- Fernagus De Gelone, Jean Louis; TJ’s account with search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives works search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with J. L. Fernagus De Gelone search
- Poinsinet de Sivry, Louis; translatesThéatre d’Aristophane, avec les Fragmens de Ménandre et de Philémon (Aristophanes) search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ visits search
- Théatre d’Aristophane, avec les fragmens de Ménandre et de Philémon (Aristophanes; trans. L. Poinsinet de Sivry) search