To A. F. De Laage
Poplar Forest Aug. 12.  17.
My intention of being soon at this place induced me to defer acknoleging your letter of Adieu until my arrival here
I am sorry that in the place in which you have fixed your new residence, my acquaintance is so limited as to enable me to be of but little use to you. I inclose you however letters to mr Johnson, mr Harrison and mr Robertson, the only gentlemen there of my particular acquaintance. their great worth & high standing in that place will enable them to present you favorably to it’s society and business. I am about 10. miles from it, at a possession which I visit 3. or 4. times a year, where I can give you but very plain plantation fare, but with a sincere welcome, whenever you can do me the favor to come thus far, and to recieve in person the assurances of my great esteem and respect.
PoC (DLC: TJ Papers, 210:37560); on verso of a reused address cover from John Barnes to TJ; misdated; at foot of text: “M. de Laage”; endorsed by TJ as a letter of <
12> 13 Aug. 1817 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: TJ to Samuel J. Harrison, Charles Johnston, and Archibald Robertson,  Aug. 1817.
- De Laage, A. F.; introduced by TJ search
- De Laage, A. F.; letter to search
- De Laage, A. F.; moves to Lynchburg search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; and A. F. De Laage search
- Johnston, Charles; TJ introduces A. F. De Laage to search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); invitations to visit search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ visits search
- Robertson, Archibald; TJ introduces A. F. De Laage to search