Minutes of Central College Board of Visitors
July 28. 1817.
At a called meeting of the Visitors of the Central College, held at the House of Mr Madison in Orange, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, John Hartwell Cocke, and Joseph C. Cabell, being present:
The plan of the first Pavilion to be erected, and the proceedings thereupon, having been stated and agreed to
It is agreed that application be made to Doctor Knox of Baltimore to accept the Professorship of Languages, Belles Lettres, Rhetoric, History and Geography, and that an independent salary of five hundred dollars, with a perquisite of twenty five dollars, from each pupil, to-gether with chambers for his accomodation, be allowed him as a compensation for his services, he finding the necessary assistant ushers.
Alexander Garritt requesting1 to resign the office of Proctor, it is agreed that Nelson Barksdale of the county of Albemarle be appointed his successor.
It is also agreed that it be expedient to import a stone cutter from Italy, and that Mr Jefferson be authorized & requested to take the requisite measures to effect that object.
|J. H. Cocke|
|Joseph C. Cabell|
MS (ViU: TJP-VMTJ); in Cabell’s hand, signed by Madison, Cocke, Cabell, and TJ. Tr (ViU: TJP-VMJCC). Tr (ViU: TJP-VMJHC). Tr (ViU: TJP-VMJB). FC (ViU: JCC); abstract in Cabell’s hand lacking the opening list of meeting attendees and signatures; at head of text: “Meeting at Mr Madison’s”; conjoined with similar FC of Minutes of Central College Board of Visitors, 7 Oct. 1817.
1. Trs: “requested.”
- Barksdale, Nelson; as Central College proctor search
- Central College, Board of Visitors; Minutes of search
- Central College; pavilions at search
- Central College; proctor of search
- Central College; professors for search
- Central College; stonecutters for search
- Garrett, Alexander; as Central College proctor search
- Italy; stonecutters from search
- Knox, Samuel; as educator search