To James Oldham
Monticello July 21. 17.
The mahogany you were so kind as to get for me has been recieved, and suits me perfectly. I am afraid I am troublesome to you, and yet having no other friend in Richmond who understands these things, I have no other means of having a good choice. I must therefore now trouble you for ½ a dozen mortise doorlocks of which 2. to be plated handles for doors 1½ I. thick, the others brass for doors 1¼ I. thick, to be sent by the Milton stage, unless there should be a Milton boat there which is the safest conveyance. mr Gibson will as usual pay the bill. I salute you with friendship & respect.
P.S. also 6. edge bolts or secret bolts1 for the edges of folding doors
RC (ViCMRL, on deposit ViU: TJP); mutilated at seal and damaged at crease, with missing text supplied from PoC; postscript added separately to RC and PoC; addressed: “Capt James Oldham Richmond”; franked; postmarked Milton, 22 July; with versos of letter and address leaf used for a later letter and address leaf from Samuel Ruggles Slack to Andrew J. Locke, of Boston, dated Mechum’s River, Albemarle County, 19 Oct. 1848, stating that TJ’s letter had been given to Slack by Oldham’s widow, a parishioner of his, that “there is no doubt of its authenticity,” and that Slack was now presenting it to Locke. PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of Josephus B. Stuart to TJ, 25 Apr. 1817; endorsed by TJ. Filed with RC is RC of Connie L. Wentworth to Breckinridge Long, Lexington, Mass., 17 Apr. 1926, stating that on a recent visit to Monticello she had recalled inheriting the above letter from her father, Andrew J. Locke, that she was now very gladly presenting it to Monticello, and that she wondered “if it may not have been written on one of those little shelf desks in the study. Also if the mahogony referred to were used by Jefferson himself for the ladder or music stand.”
1. Preceding three words interlined in RC.
- boats; transfer goods to and from Richmond search
- bolts search
- building materials; mahogany search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- household articles; bolts search
- household articles; locks search
- locks search
- Milton, Va.; boats traveling to and from search
- Milton, Va.; stagecoach to, from Richmond search
- Monticello (TJ’s Albemarle Co. estate); doors, locks for search
- Oldham, James; and hardware for TJ search
- Oldham, James; and wood search
- Oldham, James; letters to search
- Richmond, Va.; boats transfer goods to and from search
- wood; for furniture search