From Craven Peyton
Monteagle July [June] 28–1817.
In Answar to Yours of today, the bargain was made with C. Lewis several weeks before the Deed was executed & it was several weeks before, that M Henning was spoken to, to make the valuation, I held a lien,1 on the Land from C. Lewis dated some little time aftar the deed from his Farthar & the Land nevar was in the possession of C. Lewis. this point nevar was named by Any of my Councel, Colo Lewis Lettars are all filed,2 I will have Coppies of them by Your return, if You wish, will you do me the favour to Inclose Wickhams & Wirts Opinion & I will send for the papar tomorrow, Undar my presant situation, & state of suspence, I feal loth to put my name to the Subscription papar, my Family is very large, & if I am Cast in this suite, my funds may fall short, it is my intention & wish to subscribe liberally—if my funds will permit.
RC (MHi); misdated; endorsed by TJ as a letter of 28 “<
July> June” 1817 received 28 June 1817. Recorded in SJL as a letter of 28 June 1817 received the same day.
cast: “to defeat in an action at law” (OED description begins James A. H. Murray, J. A. Simpson, E. S. C. Weiner, and others, eds., The Oxford English Dictionary, 2d ed., 1989, 20 vols. description ends ).
1. Manuscript: “lion.”
2. Manuscript: “filled.”
- Central College; subscription for search
- Hening, Mr.; and dispute of C. L. Lewis and C. Peyton search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Central College Subscription List search
- law; TJ provides legal advice search
- Lewis, Charles (d.1806) (TJ’s nephew); property dispute with C. Peyton search
- Lewis, Charles Lilburne (TJ’s brother-in-law); dispute with C. Peyton search
- Monteagle (C. Peyton’s Albemarle Co. estate); dispute over search
- Peyton, Craven; and Central College subscription search
- Peyton, Craven; dispute with Lewis family search
- Peyton, Craven; letters from search
- subscriptions, non-publication; for Central College search
- Wickham, John; gives legal opinion search
- Wirt, William; gives legal opinion search