To Luis de Onís
Monticello June 11. 17.
I thank you, Sir, for the Eulogy on Dr Valli which you have been so kind as to send me. his devotion to the good of his fellow-men merited all which the Orator has said of him, and entitles him to a distinguished niche in our Martyrology. how far his experiments may contribute to the preservation of human life I am not qualified to judge; but it is much to be regretted that his last one was not tried on a less valuable subject. the expression of sentiments so just towards him is the more pleasing to me, as it furnishes me the occasion of renewing to you the assurances of my high consideration and regard.
PoC (DLC); on verso of a reused address cover from DeWitt Clinton to TJ; at foot of text: “H. E. The Chevalr de Onis”; endorsed by TJ. Tr (TJ Editorial Files); 1955 typescript by an Onís descendant.
- Elogio del Dr. D. Eusebio Valli (T. Romay y Chacón) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives works search
- Onís y González Vara López y Gómez, Luis de; letters to search
- Onís y González Vara López y Gómez, Luis de; sends pamphlet to TJ search
- Romay y Chacón, Tomás; Elogio del Dr. D. Eusebio Valli search
- Valli, Eusebio Giacinto; funeral oration for search