From Edmund Bacon
8th June 1817—
Mr York says he had no instructions to recieve the money for the mules and that Mr. Munroe had never authorised him to recieve his money. shall I write to Mr Munroe informing him I have the money ready to pay to any Person he will direct or mention to recieve it. we have been cuting clover too days. it is not a very good chance to save hay as the land is very rough and the clover very low.
My mother has met with an unexpected call for money and has requested me to pay her forty dollars. that is so nigh all that is in your hands I expect we had as well pay it all to her. I have the order in favour of Rogers for 84 D and drew the money from Mr. Southall for Yorks order. paid to Rogers $84 leaveing a balance in hand of $36 so that will still count a part of the $120 for the mules.
RC (DLC); dateline adjacent to signature; superfluous punctuation editorially omitted; with MS of TJ’s Account with Mary Bacon, [ca. 17 June 1817], on verso; addressed: “Mr Jefferson Monticello.”
On 2 June 1817 TJ indicated that he had given Mr. York, overseer for James Monroe (munroe), an “order on V. W. Southall for 120.D. price of 2. mules bot. last year,” but he then canceled the entry and wrote “Not pd. to York.” On the date of this letter Bacon used that order to make payments on TJ’s behalf to John Rogers and to his own mother, Mary Bacon. TJ paid Monroe on 3 Oct. 1817 (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1334, 1339).
- Bacon, Edmund; letters from search
- Bacon, Edmund; Monticello overseer search
- Bacon, Mary Anne Williamson; account with TJ search
- clover; as crop search
- crops; clover search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with M. A. W. Bacon search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; debt to V. W. Southall search
- Monroe, James; TJ pays search
- Monticello (TJ’s Albemarle Co. estate); clover crop at search
- mules; TJ purchases search
- Rogers, John (of Albemarle Co.); TJ pays search
- Southall, Valentine Wood; TJ’s debt to search
- women; accounts with; M. A. W. Bacon search
- York, Mr.; as J. Monroe’s farm manager search