To Stephen Girard
Monticello June 7. 17.
I was much gratified on a former occasion by having the security of your bill that in the books and wines I ordered from France I should not be disappointed. there is probably some balance still due to you on that score; as, after placing 200. of the 550.D. in Marseilles, there remained for Paris 350.D. of the employment of this last sum I have no other account from my correspondent than that he paid 1900 ƒ–25 c for the books; and to this must have been added their transportation to Havre, of which I have no account. but the 1900 ƒ–25 c alone at par would have been 356.29 D and the real exchange may have made it more, besides the transportation to Havre. these articles being unknown to me, I must ask the favor of you to give a note of the balance due you to my friend mr Vaughan who will discharge it on my account. I have now requested him to remit for me a sum of 400 D to Paris for similar objects with the last. not knowing how far it might be within the line of your convenience, we dare not ask a like accomodation of credit from you, however desirable on account of certainty against disappointment. with my thanks for the past favor, I pray you to accept the assurance of my great personal esteem and respect.
RC (PPGi: Girard Papers [microfilm at PPAmP]); addressed: “Mr Stephen Girard Philadelphia”; stamp canceled; franked; endorsed in an unidentified hand as received 13 June 1817. PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of William Pelham to TJ, 6 Mar. 1817; torn at seal, with several words rewritten by TJ; endorsed by TJ.
David Bailie Warden, TJ’s correspondent in Paris, had taken charge of his orders for books from the firm of de Bure Frères.
- de Bure Frères (Paris firm); TJ purchases books from search
- Girard, Stephen; and TJ’s lines of credit search
- Girard, Stephen; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; purchases from de Bure Frères (Paris firm) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with S. Girard search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; lines of credit in Europe search
- Vaughan, John; and TJ’s lines of credit in Europe search
- Warden, David Bailie; and books for TJ search