To LeRoy, Bayard & Company
Monticello May 25. 17.
Messrs Leroy and Bayard
A lapse of memory, never discovered till this moment calls for immediate apology and correction. my memory had represented to me the annual instalments of my debt to the messrs Van Staphorsts as something under 2000.D. and I had therefore desired mr Gibson to remit that round sum. on just now recieving his information that he had done so, I turned to your letter of Aug. 7. 16. and find it was 2083.20 D with interest also from Jan. 1. 16. I have therefore this day desired mr Gibson to remit you the additional 83.20 D with interest on the whole sum till you shall recieve it, to compleat the payment of that instalment, and I repeat to you the assurances of my great esteem and respect.
RC (SwSKB, 1947); addressed: “Messrs LeRoy & Bayard New York”; franked; postmarked Milton, 27 May; endorsed by a representative of the firm as answered 7 June 1817. PoC (DLC); on verso of a reused address cover from Edwin Stark to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; debt to N. & J. & R. van Staphorst search
- LeRoy, Bayard & Company (New York firm); and TJ’s debt to N. & J. & R. van Staphorst search
- LeRoy, Bayard & Company (New York firm); letters to search
- Staphorst, N. & J. & R. van; TJ’s debt to search