From Frank Carr
Bentivar May 9th 1817
We have received a letter from Mr Terrell in which he complains that letters under date of April 11th 1816 were the only letters he had received from his friends in this country. These were the first letters written to him, & his anxiety is very great. All others have fail’d to reach him—It was thro’ your friendly aid that they were forwarded; and that the enclosed may more certainly arrive at it’s destination, for which his state of anxiety makes us all solicitous, you will add to the numerous obligations under which you have laid all his friends, by putting it into the channel of your communications with Europe, & giving us directions how future letters may reach him.
RC (ViU: TJP-CC); endorsed by TJ as received 14 May 1817 and so recorded in SJL.
the enclosed probably included a letter written at Bentivar on 5 May 1817 from Martha J. Terrell (Minor) to her brother Dabney C. Terrell in Geneva, in which she assured him that although he had received no letters, many had been sent to him; informed him of the birth of their nephew, Peter Carr, and the subsequent death on 22 June 1816 of the baby’s mother, their sister Virginia Terrell Carr; and announced her intention to “enclose mine in a polite note to Mr Jefferson, begging him to forward this, and inform me how to direct in future” (RC in ViU: Papers of the Carr and Terrell Families; addressed: “Mr: Dabney C. Terrell,” with “at Geneva” added in a different hand).
- Carr, Frank; family of search
- Carr, Frank; letters from search
- Carr, Peter (1816–1858); birth of search
- Carr, Virginia Terrell (TJ’s sister Martha Jefferson Carr’s granddaughter; Frank Carr’s wife); death of search
- Minor, Martha Jefferson Terrell (TJ’s sister Martha Jefferson Carr’s granddaughter; Dabney Minor’s second wife); correspondence of search
- Terrell, Dabney Carr (TJ’s sister Martha Jefferson Carr’s grandson); correspondence of search
- Terrell, Dabney Carr (TJ’s sister Martha Jefferson Carr’s grandson); family of search