From Patrick Gibson
Richmond 1st May 1817—
I yesterday received your favor of the 26th Ulto inclosing a note for $2000. with a view to having it discounted and that amount remitted to Messrs LeRoy & Bayard of New York as soon after the 7th Inst as practicable—I shall offer it this day week, and as I entertain very little doubt of its being discounted, you may inform these Gentlemen that the remittance shall leave this the 9th—however as I know that we cannot expect a renewal in this bank even for another 60 d/– it will be necessary to try it elsewhere, and as I presume the US. branch will be in operation by that time, we must endeavour to renew it there I am not informed of the principle upon which that institution proposes to lend money, you can however ascertain through its President, whether or not the money can be obtained for the time you propose, if not some other means must be resorted to—
Your draft in favor of Mr Robertson for $230.96 is paid—
46 barrels of your flour received by Wm Johnson 14th Ulto were condemned as unmerchantable, having been made (so says the Inspr) of smutte[d] wheat, these have been sold at 11½$ on 60 d/–. Int added1 there remains yet on hand 84 bls: fine and 53 Sr2 fine, so soon as I shall have disposed of this I shall make the remittance to Mr Vaughan, which I hope will be in a few days—With great respect I am
RC (MHi); edge trimmed; betweeen dateline and salutation: “Thomas Jefferson Esqre”; endorsed by TJ as received 8 May 1817 and so recorded in SJL.
Wilson Cary Nicholas was the president of the Richmond branch of the Second Bank of the United States.
1. Preceding two words interlined.
2. Abbreviation for “Super.”
- Bank of the United States, Second; Richmond branch of search
- flour; sale of search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s flour search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s loan from Second Bank of the United States search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters from search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Johnson, William (boatman); transports flour to Richmond search
- LeRoy, Bayard & Company (New York firm); and TJ’s debt to N. & J. & R. van Staphorst search
- Nicholas, Wilson Cary (1761–1820); and Second Bank of the United States search
- Richmond, Va.; banks in search
- Robertson, Archibald; TJ pays search
- Staphorst, N. & J. & R. van; TJ’s debt to search
- Vaughan, John; account with TJ search
- wheat; smut damages search