From George Washington Jeffreys
Red House N.C April 8th 1817.
Your letter of 3rd ultimo, with an inclosed catalouge of Books, together with a model of a plough was duly received—Permit me in behalf of our agricultural Society to return you their sincere thanks and most grateful acknowledgments for your politeness and attention to them—Your letter was read to the Society and it was unanimously ordered to be inscribed into the books of the society—The information which it contained on horizontal ploughing was entirely satisfactory—Some parts of the catalouge will also be useful to us—I cannot conclude without tendering to you in my own individual capacity the feelings of the high respect and consideration which I entertain towards you—
George Washington Jeffreys Secy
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 25 May 1817 and so recorded in SJL. RC (DLC); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to William Lee, 25 June 1817, on verso; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Milton Va” by “Mail”; franked; postmarked Red House, 7 Apr. 1817.
- agriculture; books on search
- agriculture; Red House Agricultural Society search
- books; on agriculture search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; recommends books search
- Jeffreys, George Washington; catalogue of agricultural books for search
- Jeffreys, George Washington; letters from search
- North Carolina; agriculture in search
- plows; T. M. Randolph’s hillside search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); hillside plow of search
- Red House Agricultural Society (North Carolina) search