To Joseph Milligan
Monticello [Mar]. 19. 17.
The last proof sheet I recieved from you was to pa. 48. Mar. 1. and dispatched it Mar. 2. I am anxious to get as forward as possible, as 4. weeks hence I go to Bedford, & shall be absent 4. weeks.
I send thro’ the care of mr Gray a small box, containing Homer 9. vols, Juvenal 4. vols, & Horace 2. vols, to be bound as they are tied up. I wish them to be done in your handsomest & solidest manner (but not in Marocco.) well pressed, and substantial pasteboard. the backs particularly well gilt. I shall be very impatient to recieve these works as quickly as good work will admit. I am in daily expectation of recieving Gibbons’s two works. yours with friendship & esteem
PoC (DLC); on verso of portion of reused address cover to TJ; dateline faint; at foot of text: “Mr Millegan”; endorsed by TJ as a letter of 19 Mar. 1817 and so recorded in SJL.
- A Treatise on Political Economy (Destutt de Tracy) search
- D. Iunii Iuvenalis Aquinatis Satirae XVI (Juvenal; ed. G. A. Ruperti) search
- Destutt de Tracy, Antoine Louis Claude; A Treatise on Political Economy search
- Gibbon, Edward; works of search
- Gray, William Fairfax; and transmission of packages to and from TJ search
- Heyne, Christian Gottlob; editsThe Iliad (Homer) search
- Homer; Iliad (ed. C. G. Heyne) search
- Horace; works of search
- Iliad (Homer); C. G. Heyne’s edition of search
- Juvenal; D. Iunii Iuvenalis Aquinatis Satirae XVI (ed. G. A. Ruperti) search
- Milligan, Joseph; and Destutt de Tracy’sTreatise on Political Economy search
- Milligan, Joseph; letters to search
- Ruperti, Georg Alexander; editsD. Iunii Iuvenalis Aquinatis Satirae XVI (Juvenal) search