To Fitzwhylsonn & Potter
[Mo]nticello Mar. 19. 17.
Messrs Fitzwhylson and Potter
Mr Vest, postmaster of Milton, who committed the volumes of Edinburg review to the stage, which I sent you, thinks he shall be able to recover them. the difficulty has arisen by a change of the driver. he says they were left by the former driver at the old stage office. perhaps you can find them there. I have generally had a good deal of bookbinding to do, and am likely still to need it occasionally. I have hitherto sent it to Georgetown to mr Millegan on account of the superiority of his work. our American bindings are faulty in execution as well as materials. they are so springy that when once a book has been opened, it will never shut close again. a book well bound is as heavy as a piece of lead, with solid pasteboard for it’s cover. I now send you a small box containing Virgil 4. vols. Tacitus1 4. vols, Botta 1. vol. and the Clavis Homerica to be bound into 2. vols. I should be glad to have them bound in the best manner of the Richmond binders (not however in Marocco) as it would be more convenient to me to send there than to Georgetown. I would wish all the dispatch consistent with good work. when done they may be sent by the Milton stage addressed to me to the [c]are of mr Vest postmaster, who will pay the carriage. Accept the tender of my respect.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of William Canby to TJ, 11 Feb. 1817; dateline faint; damaged at seal; endorsed by TJ.
1. Word interlined in place of “Juvenal.”
- books; binding of for TJ search
- Botta, Carlo Giuseppe Guglielmo; works of search
- Clavis Homerica: sive Lexicon Vocabulorum Omnium, Quæ continentur in Homeri Iliade et potissimâ parte Odysseæ (ed. S. Patrick) search
- Edinburgh Review; Fitzwhylsonn & Potter as agent for search
- Edinburgh Review; TJ subscribes to search
- Fitzwhylsonn & Potter (Richmond firm); andEdinburgh Review search
- Fitzwhylsonn & Potter (Richmond firm); binds publications for TJ search
- Fitzwhylsonn & Potter (Richmond firm); letters to search
- Heyne, Christian Gottlob; edits Virgil search
- Homer; Clavis Homerica: sive Lexicon Vocabulorum Omnium, Quæ continentur in Homeri Iliade Et potissimâ parte Odysseæ (ed. S. Patrick) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; binding of books search
- Juvenal; works of search
- Milligan, Joseph; binds books for TJ search
- Oberlin, Jeremias Jakob; edition of Tacitus by search
- Patrick, Samuel; editsClavis Homerica: sive Lexicon Vocabulorum Omnium, Quæ continentur in Homeri Iliade Et potissimâ parte Odysseæ (Homer) search
- Tacitus; J. J. Oberlin edition of search
- Vest, Charles; as postmaster at Milton search
- Virgil; C. G. Heyne edition of search