From Nicolas G. Dufief
A Philade ce 3e de Mars. 1817
Je vous ai adressé, ce matin, par la poste, le dernier volume de mon dictionnaire. J’espère que les 3 volumes seront arrivés Sans accident. Il me Semble que Mr Gibson aurait été beaucoup plus régulier commercialement parlant de ne débiter votre compte des 31 dlls qu’autant que son correspondant de Philadelphie lui eût envoyé un reçu de Moi, que certainement il eût éxigé si l’on m’eût payé cette Somme.
N. G. Dufief
|P.S.||Nous vous avons débité de 12 dlls: prix du dictionnaire & crédite de. 4dl 50⁄100: balance qui vous était due|
Philadelphia 3 March. 1817
This morning I sent you through the mail the last volume of my dictionary. I hope that the three volumes have arrived without incident. It seems to me that it would have been much more correct, commercially speaking, if Mr. Gibson had not debited the 31 dollars from your account until his correspondent in Philadelphia sent him a receipt from me. One would certainly have been demanded of me if I had been paid this sum.
N. G. Dufief
|P.S.||We have debited you 12 dollars, the price of the dictionary, and credited you with $4.50, the balance due to you|
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “Th: Jefferson. Esqre”; endorsed by TJ as received 15 Mar. 1817 and so recorded in SJL. Translation by Dr. Genevieve Moene.
Patrick Gibson’s Philadelphia correspondant was a Mr. Fisher.
- A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages (N. G. Dufief) search
- books; sent by N. G. Dufief search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; account with TJ search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters from search
- French language; dictionaries search
- French language; letters in, from; N. G. Dufief search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with N. G. Dufief search