Draft Power of Attorney to John Barnes for United States Stock Interest
Know all Men, by these presents That I, Thomas Jefferson, of Monticello in Virginia do subsitute—and Appoint—John Barnes, of George Town in the Territory of Columbia my Attorney in Fact for the purpose of Receiving from the Treasury of the United States—all Sums of Interest, due or to become due on any public Stock standing in the Name of Thaddeus Kosciusko. Now of Soleure in Swiserland—for whom, I am in fact Attorney as per Copy thereof Deposited in the Treasury of the U States. Referance thereto, will fully Appear
witness my hand & seal this day of 1817.
Whether the above form—executed by Mr Jefferson & acknowledged by a Magistrate or Notarey—will admit JB. to receive1 the Int. Quarterly—if not. be pleased to Correct it. for JB. to forward it Agreable to Mr Jeffersons request—
MS (ViU: TJP-ER); entirely in Barnes’s hand; at head of text: “Copy”; at foot of text: “To Richd Smith Esqr.” Executed version enclosed in TJ to Barnes, 11 Mar. 1817.
1. Manuscript: “recive.”
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; TJ’s power of attorney to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and government stock search
- United States; and government stock search