To John Barnes
M[o]n[ticell]o Feb. 17. 17.
I recieved last night your fav[or] of the 7th and in it the following certificates of stock in the name of Genl Kosciuzko, to wit,
|US. Certificate||No 90.||for||11,363.||63||six per cents of loan||of May 2. 1814.|
|No 37.||for||1,136.||36||supplemental do||of do|
Bank of Columbia certificate No 1314. for 46 shares in that bank @ 100. D Jan. 10. 1817.
As you think a special power will be necessary for you to recieve the interest of the US. stock, I will ask the favor of you to send me the proper instrument to enable you to recieve it, which I will sign. I give you this trouble, because the peculiar forms of the treasury are unknown to me. I recieved in due time your account with Genl Kosciuzko to Nov. last; balance in your favor 812.D. and omitted to acknolege it, because I am little familiar with these things, and have so unbounded confidence in your exactness & integrity as to be entirely satisfied all is right. I salute you with affectionate esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of John Wood to TJ, 2 Feb. 1817; two words faint; at foot of text: “Mr Barnes”; endorsed by TJ.
- Bank of Columbia search
- banks; in Georgetown, D.C. search
- Barnes, John; account with T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters to search
- Barnes, John; TJ’s power of attorney to search
- Georgetown, D.C.; banks in search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; account with J. Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Columbia stock of search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and government stock search
- United States; and government stock search