To James Madison
Monticello Feb. 16. 17.
The bearer hereof, mr George Flower, is an English gentleman farmer, was the companion of mr Burkbeck in his journey through France, and is the person to whom the dedication of that book is addressed, he came over on behalf of his own family and that of mr Burkbeck, to chuse a settlement for them. having made the tour of the temperate latitudes of the US. he has purchased a settlement near Lynchburg. he came recommended to me from M. de la Fayette and M. de Lasteyrie, and is indeed worthy of all recommendation. he is well informed of men and things in England, without prejudice in their favor, and communicative. believing you will find satisfaction & information from his conversation, I ask permission for him to make his bow to you as he passes through Washington where he proposes to rest a day or two in his progress Northwardly to embark for England. ever affectionately & respectfully yours
RC (CtY: Franklin Collection); addressed: “James Madison President of the US Washington” and “favored by Mr Flower.” PoC (DLC); on verso of a reused address cover from Nicolas G. Dufief to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
Morris Birkbeck dedicated his book, Notes on a Journey through France … in July, August, and September, 1814, Describing the Habits of the People, and the Agriculture of the Country (1st American ed., Philadelphia, 1815; Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library, 1829 description ends , 7 [no. 324]), to George Flower, his “agreeable and intelligent fellow-traveller,” offering him “this little volume as the result of our joint observations.”
- Birkbeck, Morris; Notes on a Journey through France search
- Flower, George; TJ introduces search
- Flower, George; U.S. tour of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction from search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; introduces G. Flower search
- Lasteyrie-Dusaillant, Charles Philibert, comte De; introduces G. Flower search
- Madison, James (1751–1836); letters to search
- Madison, James (1751–1836); TJ introduces G. Flower to search
- Notes on a Journey through France (M. Birkbeck) search