To Nicolas G. Dufief
Monticello Feb. 9. 1817.
I recieved last night your two favors of Jan. 30. and all the books have been received as stated in your account. I have now to request you to send me a copy of your dictionary; let the 1st vol. come first as being most immediately wanting.
I have no doubt you are correct as to the 31.D. and that mr Gibson is so also. he has probably charged me on ordering payment, and his correspondent in Philadelphia has by some inadvertence overlooked it. I shall write to mr Gibson, and you shall know the result. I salute you with esteem & respect
PoC (DLC); on verso of portion of reused address cover to TJ; at foot of text: “Mr Dufief”; endorsed by TJ.
- A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages (N. G. Dufief) search
- books; dictionaries search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; account with TJ search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; A New Universal and Pronouncing Dictionary of the French and English Languages search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters to search
- French language; dictionaries search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives works search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with N. G. Dufief search