To Craven Peyton
Monticello Feb. 6. 17.
I am infinitely obliged by the kind offer of the sum mentioned in your letter, and any further one you will be able to spare: an award is given against me for between 7. & 800.D. for rent to the Hendersons, to be paid instantly. I have also to pay 1600.D. more for the 3. shares of the daughters. this, with purchase of corn, and two years failure of crops embarrasses me beyond my expectations. I will send tomorrow and ask you for an order on Richmond for the present sum which will answer as well as the cash. with much thankfulness therefore I am Dr Sir
P.S. old mrs Henderson has sworn that Bennet was not of age when he signed the deed of confirmation. I must pray you to enquire among the old women of your neighborhood who best remember these things. it is on our testimony here alone I am to depend.
PoC (MHi); on verso of a reused address cover from John Adams or Abigail Adams to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
- corn; TJ buys search
- Henderson, Bennett Hillsborough; and Milton lands search
- Henderson, Elizabeth Lewis (Bennett Henderson’s wife); and sale of Henderson lands search
- Henderson case; claims by minor heirs search
- Hornsby, Frances Henderson (Bennett Henderson’s daughter; Thomas Walker Hornsby’s wife); and Milton lands search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with C. Peyton search
- Nelson, Nancy Crawford Henderson (Bennett Henderson’s daughter; Matthew Nelson’s wife); and Milton lands search
- Peyton, Craven; account with TJ search
- Peyton, Craven; and Henderson case search
- Peyton, Craven; letters to search
- rent; due from Henderson lands search
- Wood, Lucy Henderson (Bennett Henderson’s daughter; John T. Wood’s wife); and Milton lands search