Statement of Taxable Property in Albemarle County
A list of taxable property of the subscriber in Albemarle Feb. 1. 1817.
5. white tythes.
79. slaves of 16. years old & upwards
9. do of 12. years old & not 16.
31. horses and mules.
1. 4-wheeled carriage (a Landau)
MS (MHi); written entirely in TJ’s hand on verso of portion of a reused address cover from Joseph C. Cabell to TJ; endorsed by TJ: “Sheriff Albem. taxable property 1817.”
The Virginia General Assembly passed an act on 22 Feb. 1817 keeping property-tax rates the same as they had been in 1816 (Acts of Assembly description begins Acts of the General Assembly of Virginia (cited by session; title varies over time) description ends [1817–18 sess.], 3). tythes: “tithables.”
- Albemarle County, Va.; Statement of TJ’s Taxable Property in Albemarle County search
- carriages; taxes on search
- horses; taxes on search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; pays taxes search
- slaves; taxes on search
- taxes; on carriages search
- taxes; on free whites search
- taxes; on horses and mules search
- taxes; on slaves search
- taxes; Statement of Taxable Property in Albemarle County search
- taxes; TJ pays search
- Virginia; General Assembly search
- whites; taxes on search