From Fitzwhylsonn & Potter
Richmond Jan: 6, 1817.
We were honored with your favor of the 29th Ultimo, by Mr Randolph, about thursday last, since which we have been making the most diligent enquiry for a copy of the sessions acts of 1794, but without success. The acts of the four sessions immediately preceding the last, formerly ordered, we should not have been able to have procured had it not been for the polite and effectual exertions of Mr Linah Mimms of the Council of State, who interested himself in searching for them in the offices attached to the Executive department. These acts are nearly bound and will be ready to be forwarded, by the return of Mr Randolph, or by some other early opportunity. We are Sorry to say, sir, that no information has been received relative to the bundle of Edinburg Reviews.
In the title pages of the different sets of Josephus no mention is made of the ordinal rank of the respective editions, except as to the date when the work was printed. The last we have seen is the New York Edition of 1815.1 But which of the European editions it is copied from we are unable to say. Should it be desirable we shall take great pleasure in procuring and forwarding it to you.
Fitzwhylsonn & Potter
RC (MHi); in William H. Fitzwhylsonn’s hand; endorsed by TJ as received 12 Jan. 1817 and so recorded in SJL. RC (DLC); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to William Duane, 24 Jan. 1817, on verso; addressed: “His Excellency Thomas Jefferson Monticello”; franked; postmarked Richmond, 7 Jan.
The new york edition was The Genuine Works of Flavius Josephus; The Learned and Authentic Jewish Historian, and Celebrated Warrior, trans. William Whiston, 7 vols. (New York, 1815).
1. Reworked from “1715.”
- books; binding of for TJ search
- books; on history search
- Edinburgh Review; Fitzwhylsonn & Potter as agent for search
- Edinburgh Review; TJ subscribes to search
- Fitzwhylsonn & Potter (Richmond firm); and books for TJ search
- Fitzwhylsonn & Potter (Richmond firm); andEdinburgh Review search
- Fitzwhylsonn & Potter (Richmond firm); binds publications for TJ search
- Fitzwhylsonn & Potter (Richmond firm); letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Josephus; The Genuine Works of Flavius Josephus (trans. W. Whiston) search
- Mims, Linah; as member of Va. Council of State search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); carries books to TJ search
- Randolph, Thomas Jefferson (TJ’s grandson; Jane Hollins Nicholas Randolph’s husband); delivers letter to Fitzwhylsonn & Potter search
- The Genuine Works of Flavius Josephus (Josephus; trans. W. Whiston) search
- Virginia; laws of search
- Whiston, William; translatesThe Genuine Works of Flavius Josephus (Josephus) search