To Nicolas G. Dufief
Monticello Jan. 1. 1817.
I recieved yesterday your favor of Dec. 16. and hasten by the first return of the mail, to express my mortification that the remittance of 31.D which I had desired Messrs Gibson & Jefferson to make you in June, and which I had taken for granted was done had however never been done. it must have been ac[c]identally overlooked by mr Gibson, as in a mass of business happens sometimes with the most attentive men. I hasten to repair the omission by inclosing you a fifty dollar note of the bank of Virginia which I am told are negociable with you. if to a loss, debit me with the loss. it will still I presume cover what I have lately requested as well as the former balance. the new year being now commenced I hope daily to recieve it’s Nautical Almanac. accept my friendly & respectful salutations.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of William H. Crawford to TJ, 28 Oct. 1816; one word faint; at foot of text: “M. Dufief”; endorsed by TJ.
- almanacs, nautical; TJ purchases search
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); banknotes of search
- banks; currency issued by search
- Blunt, Edmund March; Blunt’s Edition of the Nautical Almanac, and Astronomical Ephemeris, for the year 1817 search
- currency; paper search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; account with TJ search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters to search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; TJ orders books from search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; TJ pays search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with N. G. Dufief search
- The Nautical Almanac and Astronomical Ephemeris (E. M. Blunt); TJ orders search