To Joseph C. Cabell
Monticello Jan. 1. 17.
A member of a family to which I have been much attached by long intimacies sollicits my asking the attention1 of some of my friends to his petition before the legislature. he is the Viscount Barziza, youngest of two sons of Count Barziza of Venice by the only daughter & heiress of the late mrs Paradise, who was the daughter of Colo Philip Ludwell proprietor of Greenspring where she was born. mr Paradise her husband was a naturalised citizen. their grandchildren petition for the maternal estate, and as the rights of man do not depend on the geography of his birth, I hope they will obtain it. it is to this petition I sollicit your attention and that you will procure to be done in it what you think right.
There was a petition from Capt Meriwether & others for the establishment of a turnpike from Rockfish gap to Moore’s ford, which they never meant to carry into execution, but merely to fix the passage of that road at Moore’s ford to parry a process now in court to substitute a better ford & road. we counterpetitioned. should this matter come up to your house, the counterpetition will inform you accurately of the circumstances of the case, in which you will I am sure do what is right as well from a principle of justice as of regard for
RC (ViU: TJP); addressed: “Joseph C. Cabell of the Senate of Virginia now in Richmond”; franked; postmarked Milton, 1 Jan.; endorsed by Cabell as answered 12 Jan. 1817. PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of Thomas H. Palmer to TJ, 23 Oct. 1816; final line and closing faint; endorsed by TJ.
As the younger brother of a count, Philip I. Barziza could use the courtesy title of viscount.
1. Word interlined in place of “notice.”
- Albemarle County, Va.; petitions to General Assembly search
- Albemarle County, Va.; roads in search
- Barziza, Antonio, Count; family of search
- Barziza, Giovanni (John L.), Count; and L. L. Paradise estate search
- Barziza, Lucy Paradise, Countess (Antonio Barziza’s wife; John and Lucy L. Paradise’s daughter); family of search
- Barziza, Philip Ignatius; and L. L. Paradise estate search
- Cabell, Joseph Carrington; and petition of P. I. Barziza search
- Cabell, Joseph Carrington; and proposed Albemarle Co. road search
- Cabell, Joseph Carrington; letters to search
- Ludwell, Philip; estate of search
- Meriwether, William Douglas; petition to General Assembly search
- Meriwether, William Douglas; road proposed by search
- Moore’s Ford (Albemarle Co.) search
- Paradise, John; family of search
- Paradise, Lucy Ludwell (John Paradise’s wife); estate of search
- roads; in Albemarle Co. search
- roads; in Va. search
- Rockfish Gap, Va.; proposed road from search
- Virginia; General Assembly search
- Virginia; roads in search