To Thomas Mann Randolph (1792–1848)
Monticello Dec. 16. 16.
The bearer of this, mr George Flower, is an English gentleman farmer, on a tour thro’ the US. to look for a settlement fo[r] his family and friends. he wishes to see examples of the best farming as adapted to the circumstances of our country. on this ground I take the liberty of asking him to call on you, as he will see those examples in your own, and the neighboring farm of mr Wickham. in return for the information he may derive from you of this kind, he will give you that of Europe generally & of England most particularly, being well informed of the men and things of the day. he was the travelling companion of Birkbeck in his tour thro’ France, which you have probably seen, and brings me letters of introduction from the Marquis de la Fayette & M. de Lasteyrie the agricultural writer who speak in the highest terms of his worth. I avail myself of the occasion he furnishes of assuring you of my high esteem and respect.
PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of James B. Pleasants to TJ, 28 Nov. 1816; one word faint; at foot of text: “Thomas M. Randolph junr esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
- Birkbeck, Morris; Notes on a Journey through France search
- Flower, George; introduced to TJ search
- Flower, George; TJ introduces search
- Flower, George; U.S. tour of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction to search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; introduces G. Flower search
- Lasteyrie-Dusaillant, Charles Philibert, comte De; introduces G. Flower search
- Notes on a Journey through France (M. Birkbeck) search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1792–1848) (son of Thomas Mann Randolph [1741–93]; half-brother of Thomas Mann Randolph [1768–1828]); letters to search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1792–1848) (son of Thomas Mann Randolph [1741–93]; half-brother of Thomas Mann Randolph [1768–1828]); TJ introduces G. Flower to search
- Wickham, John; farm owned by search