Power of Attorney to John Barnes for United States Stock Interest
Know all men by these presents that I Thomas Jefferson of Monticello in Albemarle, by virtue of the powers to me given by Thaddeus Kosciuzko, late a General in the armies of the United States, do hereby constitute and appoint John Barnes of George town in the district of Columbia lawful attorney under my self, of the said Thaddeus with full powers to recieve for the sd Thaddeus and in his name all sums of interest due or to become due on any stock standing or which may hereafter stand in the name of the sd Thaddeus in the books or funds of the United States, and for the same to give discharges and acquittances in the name of the sd Thaddeus, which shall be equally valid, and are hereby confirmed, as if given by myself. Witness my hand and seal at Monticello aforesd this fifteenth of December 1816.
PoC (DLC: TJ Papers, 208:37187); written entirely in TJ’s hand on verso of reused address cover to TJ; mutilated at seal, with missing words rewritten by TJ; with PoC of second power of attorney to Barnes of this date on other side of sheet. Possibly also enclosed in Barnes to TJ, 13 Jan. 1817, and TJ to Barnes, 28 Jan. 1817.
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; TJ’s power of attorney to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Power of Attorney to John Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and government stock search
- United States; and government stock search