To Patrick Gibson
Monticello Dec. 12. 16.
On my return from Bedford yesterday, I found here a letter from mr Elisha Ticknor of Boston informing me he had on the 16th of Nov. shipped a small package of books recieved for me from Europe on board the brig Polly, Capt Snow, to your address, the cost of which were 45. D 25 C as he has been kind enough to advance this money for me some time ago, I must request the favor of you to remit it to him without delay, of which I give him notice this day. as the box of books is probably not over 18.I. cube, it will come quicker & safer by the stage than by water; and especially if taken within the stage. I will therefore pray you to have it carried to the stage office with such directions. I salute you with friendship and respect
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of Henry Clay to TJ, 8 Sept. 1816; at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ.
- boats; transfer goods to and from Richmond search
- carriages; stagecoaches search
- Gibson, Patrick; and shipments to TJ search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Polly (brig) search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ returns from search
- Richmond, Va.; boats transfer goods to and from search
- Richmond, Va.; stagecoach from search
- Snow, David; captain of brigPolly search
- Ticknor, Elisha; and books for TJ search