Calculations of Latitude of Willis’s Mountain
Willis’s mountain. Long. W. from Greenwich. 78°–49′–31″
observations with Borda’s circle.
note the observn of Dec. 9. was compleatly perfect & satisfactory.
MS (MHi); filed with TJ’s Weather Memorandum Book, 1802–16; written entirely in TJ’s hand on verso of his Calculations of Latitude of Poplar Forest, 8 Nov.–3 Dec. 1816.
On a separate, narrow sheet, TJ recorded his key finding on these days:
“observns with Borda W’s. Mount.
|Dec.||8.||mer. alt. ⊙||59–||39/||29|
- astronomy; and calculations of Willis’s Mountain’s latitude search
- Borda, Jean Charles de; and surveying instruments search
- Borda’s circle (surveying instrument) search
- geography; and TJ’s calculations of latitude search
- Greenwich Observatory, England; and prime meridian search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Calculations of Latitude of Willis’s Mountain search
- latitude; calculations for Willis’s Mountain search
- sun; and calculation of latitude search
- surveying; and J. C. Borda’s circle search
- Willis’s Mountain; TJ takes latitude of search