To Joseph Delaplaine
Poplar Forest near Lynchburg. Nov. 11. 16.
I recieve here your favor of Oct. 26. the half volume of the Repository is probably recieved at Monticello where it will await my return. the objections to your work appear to be perfectly answered in the pamphlet you have been so kind as to inclose me. you had a right certainly to chuse your own scale of biography more or less extended, and the shorter as merely an Appendix to your main object, the portraits of American characters. the objections of the Critic seem to have been to the Appendix rather than to the principal work. I salute you with esteem and respect
RC (LNT: George H. and Katherine M. Davis Collection); addressed: “Mr Joseph Delaplaine Philadelphia”; franked; postmarked Lynchburg, 13 Nov.; endorsement by Delaplaine reads, in part, “ansd twice.” PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of David Gelston to TJ, 23 Aug. 1816; endorsed by TJ.
- books; biographical search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; Delaplaine’s Repository search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; letters to search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; The Author Turned Critic; or The Reviewer Reviewed search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Repository of the Lives and Portraits of Distinguished Americans (J. Delaplaine) search
- The Author Turned Critic; or The Reviewer Reviewed (J. Delaplaine) search