To Mathew Carey
Monticello Oct. 16. 16.
I was very unlucky indeed in being in time for so small a portion only of the books I had wished of Dr Priestly’s library. there was one in particular (Benson’s Saxon Vocabulary) I would rather have given double price for than have missed. the amount of the 3. vols on their way to me being 3.75 D I inclose you 4.D. in Virginia bank notes, which I understand pass with you. the difference of amount may make up that of exchange, if any. I salute you with great esteem & respect.
RC (NHi; tipped into John B. Moreau’s extra-illustrated copy of Jared Sparks, The Life of George Washington , vol. 3, opp. p. 480); at foot of text: “Mr M. Carey”; endorsed by Carey as received 20 Oct. 1816 and answered two days later. PoC (DLC); on verso of portion of reused address cover to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
- Anglo-Saxon language; books on search
- banks; currency issued by search
- Benson, Thomas; Vocabularium Anglo-Saxonicum search
- books; dictionaries search
- Carey, Mathew; and books for TJ search
- Carey, Mathew; letters to search
- currency; paper search
- English language; Anglo-Saxon (Old English) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Priestley, Joseph; library and scientific apparatus of search
- Somner, William; Vocabularium Anglo-Saxonicum search
- Vocabularium Anglo-Saxonicum (T. Benson and W. Somner) search