To Joseph Miller
Monticello Oct. 14. 16.
I returned from Bedford a few days ago, which has delayed the commencement of our malting till three days ago. altho I shall set out for Bedford again on the 19th to continue there to the first1 of December, yet I shall take measures to enable Peter to go on with his malting and brewing.
not to be too late again in providing corks, as I was last year, and fearing I should get bad ones at Richmond, I will ask the favor of you to procure 8. gross for me of the best, and forward them to mr Gibson who will answer your draught for them, or if you will note the cost to me I will inclose it to you in Richmond bank bills, unless you should come here and recieve it as we had heretofore hoped. I salute you with friendship and respect.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of David Gelston to TJ, 6 Aug. 1816; at foot of text: “Capt Miller”; endorsed by TJ.
peter: Peter Hemmings.
1. Word interlined in place of “end.”
- alcohol; beer search
- banks; currency issued by search
- beer; brewed at Monticello search
- brewing; at Monticello search
- brewing; use of malt in search
- corks; TJ orders search
- currency; paper search
- Gibson, Patrick; and shipments to TJ search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Hemmings, Peter (TJ’s slave; b.1770); and Monticello brewery search
- household articles; corks search
- Miller, Joseph; and corks for TJ search
- Miller, Joseph; letters to search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); brewery at search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ plans visit to search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ returns from search