To James H. McCulloch
Monticello Oct. 9. 16.
I am much indebted for the trouble you have been so good as to take in informing me of the arrival of the 2. cases of wine from mr Appleton, and I now inclose the amount of duties stated in your letter at 16. D 50 c in bank paper, such as I understand to be passable at Baltimore. and I return my thanks to mr Kalhenon for his voluntary care of these things the value of which is in it’s testimony of dispositions personally kind. I will ask the favor of you to have the 2. cases shipped by some vessel going to Richmond to be delivered to Messrs Gibson & Jefferson there, who will receive them, and pay freight & other charges.
I am particularly thankful for the offer of1 your kind offices at Baltimore, of which I may happen to have need in cases like the present. I make annually small importations of books from Paris, and wines from Marseilles & Leghorn: and as from these places vessels cannot always be had bound to any particular port of the US. my correspondents put them on board the first bound to any American port consigned to the Collector of the port. in these cases I will ask the favor of you to give me notice of the arrival, & the amount of duties, freight and other charges which I will immediately remit; and that you will be so good as to reship the articles to Richmond to the address of Gibson & Jefferson, who will always pay the charges from your port. I pray [you]2 to accept the assurance of my perfect esteem & respect
RC (NjP: Andre deCoppet Collection); addressed: “James H. McCulloch esq. Baltimore”; franked; postmarked Milton, 9 Oct.; endorsed by McCulloch: “Presidt Jefferson of Wine in Shp Von Hollen recd 14 Octo 1816.” PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; mutilated at seal, with one word rewritten by TJ; endorsed by TJ.
mr kalhenon: Charles F. Kalkman.
1. Preceding three words interlined.
2. Omitted word editorially supplied.
- Appleton, Thomas; and wine for TJ search
- banks; currency issued by search
- boats; transfer goods to and from Richmond search
- currency; paper search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and wine acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Kalkman, Charles F.; owner ofVon (Van)Hollen search
- McCulloch, James Hugh (father of James H. McCulloh); and wine for TJ search
- McCulloch, James Hugh (father of James H. McCulloh); collector at Baltimore search
- McCulloch, James Hugh (father of James H. McCulloh); letter to search
- Richmond, Va.; boats transfer goods to and from search
- taxes; on imports search
- taxes; on wine search
- Von (Van)Hollen (ship) search
- wine; sent to TJ search