From John Payne Todd
Mont Pelier Sepr 19th—16.
I take the liberty of mentioning that Mr Labarshette, who will have the honor of paying his respects; brought a letter from Genl Lafayette to the President, and carries with him, a certificate from the same, of services rendered by his father and himself during our Revolution; which are titles certainly to civility.
John P. Todd.
RC (MHi); endorsed by TJ as received 20 Sept. 1816 and so recorded in SJL. RC (DLC); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to James Barbour, 19 Jan. 1817, on recto; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Esqre Monticello” by “Mr Labarshette.”
mr labarshette was Barthélémy Sernin du Moulin, baron de Montlezun de Labarthette.
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction to search
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, marquis de; introduces Montlezun search
- Madison, James (1751–1836); letters of introduction to search
- Montlezun de Labarthète, Jean François du Moulin, chevalier de; Revolutionary War service of search
- Montlezun de Labarthette, Barthélémy Sernin du Moulin, baron de; introduced to J. Madison search
- Montlezun de Labarthette, Barthélémy Sernin du Moulin, baron de; introduced to TJ search
- Todd, John Payne; introduces Montlezun to TJ search
- Todd, John Payne; letters from search