From John Payne Todd
Mont Pelier Augt 31st 16.
My Dear Sir,
A week after the valuable letter you honored [me]1 with, I received your highly prized present, a pr of Turkish Pistols of curious workmanship which shall be preserved with all that devotedness of respect and affection I feel for you—Until the present moment I had hoped to have paid you my respects and thanked you in person but learning from Mr Rush of your intended visit to Bedford I am induced to pospone this pleasure; in the mean time I beg you to be assured of my wishes for a continuance of your health [and]2 of my very affectionate tho’ respectful attachment.
J. Payne Todd.
RC (MHi); at foot of text: “Th: Jefferson Esqre”; endorsed by TJ as received 2 Sept. 1816 and so recorded in SJL.
1. Omitted word editorially supplied.
2. Omitted word editorially supplied.
- firearms; Turkish pistols search
- Madison, James (1751–1836); visitors to search
- Montpellier (Montpelier; J. Madison’s Orange Co. estate); visitors to search
- pistols; given as gift search
- Rush, Richard; visits Montpellier (Madison family estate) search
- Todd, John Payne; letters from search
- Todd, John Payne; TJ sends pistols to search