From John F. Oliveira Fernandes
Norfolk 10th August 1816
Your favour of the 17th ultimo was recived, in Course of mail. The disagreable visit of fever1 tertians, in the commencement of June, & July, together with the necessity of attending some Family; which, I could not with propriety, dismiss; have kept me weak enough.
I value highly the honour of your repeated invitation; of which I will do my self the pleasure to accept, for a day, or two, towards the end of this month, or the commencement of the next; in my passage to the Springs—because, calculatting it, as an impossible, to attend regularly my own health, in the place, I have resolved to travel a little—
For this reason, I will probably Lose the agreable Opportunity of meeting Mr Correa de Serra, probably, detained as yet, in Philadelphia, with his Literary engagements.
Messrs J. & w– Southgate, have Lately recived by their Ship from Lisbon few Q. Cask of wine for their own use I hope however, to have one for you; if you Say So—
I expect Some Porto—for my own use—I will cheerfully divide with you—
I remain with Sincere respect
John F. Oliveira Fernandes—
RC (DLC); between dateline and salutation: “Thomas Jefferson Esquire”; endorsed by TJ as received 17 Aug. 1816.
tertians: fevers or agues “characterized by the occurrence of a paroxysm every third day” (OED description begins James A. H. Murray, J. A. Simpson, E. S. C. Weiner, and others, eds., The Oxford English Dictionary, 2d ed., 1989, 20 vols. description ends ). The ship General Washington brought “10 quarter casks very old Lisbon Wine” (Norfolk American Beacon and Commercial Diary, 8 Aug. 1816).
1. Manuscript: “feve.”
- Corrêa da Serra, José; proposed visit of search
- fevers; tertian search
- General Washington (ship) search
- health; and warm springs search
- health; fever search
- J. & W. Southgate (Norfolk firm) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; orders wine from J. F. Oliveira Fernandes search
- Oliveira Fernandes, John Francisco; and wine for TJ search
- Oliveira Fernandes, John Francisco; health of search
- Oliveira Fernandes, John Francisco; letters from search
- port (wine) search
- springs; therapeutic search
- wine; port search
- wine; Portuguese search
- wine; TJ orders from J. F. Oliveira Fernandes search